Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Uber-twisty!

A while ago I saw a guy who had created his own version of a Teraminx, a higher order megaminx where each of the 12 sides has three layers instead of the usual one. He was charging $2000 for them and if I had won the lottery I certainly would have scooped one up. Unfortunately, I'm not exactly tripping over piles of loose cash around here so I shed a few tears and moved on with my life. Then I found out that a site called Cube 4 You is mass producing these suckers at a much more reasonable price and had to jump on one. It came without stickers attached...




I spent the better part of the night applying them. The Teraminx has 555 pieces (not including washers, springs, and screws), 732 stickers, and 1.7989 x 10^571 possible positions. Assuming the universe has a radius of 13.7 billion light years and each uniquely patterned teraminx has an edge length of 5.5 cm, they would fill the proposed volume of the universe 1.4043993*10^85 times! Holy crap! I don't know if I wanna touch this thing anymore...





Uhhh... I got a little bored... :)


Here is the finished project as well as a comparison with a 3x3x5 and a regular sized megaminx. I will blog on that 3x3x5 soon...





Honestly, I am a bit scared to mess this one up...

3 comments:

  1. Wow! It looks great Hon! All that hard work stickering it paid off. I can't wait to see you mess it up and solve it. I don't think I'll play with this one much though. It's huge! I like the little square one. It turns nice and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I love the fun designs you did when you were bored. Haha~

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, you really have no life. I think my brain would melt out of my head if I tried to use that thing. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete